Monday, December 6, 2010

Melissa's Day Off!!!

It's not very often that mom and I get 5 days off in a row. So we make the most of it. Over Thanksgiving I had big plans to get things done. But, of course, I put every thing I wanted to get done till the last 2 days.

On Saturday I started to quilt BroBro's quilt. Everything was going pretty good, that is to say not too much cursing at the machine. I was almost at the half way mark when everything went horribly wrong.

I was starting a new row, listening to music on my little MP3 player. I had the needle in the right spot and I was holding everything steady with my left thumb. I reached over with my right hand and looked for the needle down button.

Unfortunately, I found it. The needle went down straight through my thumb and into the quilt and stayed there. I knew I needed the needle back up, so I hit the needle down button again. And up it came, with my thumb still attached.

I called calmly for help.

"Mom, can you come help me please?" you can never forget to say please, no matter the situation.

"Yeah, I'm coming" she called back.

I was afraid I was going to start bleeding, and the last thing I needed right then was to ruin the quilt. So I called "Can you please hurry?"

"Yeah, what do you need?" she said, half way down the bigger stair case.

"Could you please help me?" there was no other way to say it. "My thumb is stuck on the machine." I was trying to loosen the screw that attached the needle to the machine so that I could get the needle off and my wound away from the quilt.

"Your thumb is what?!?" I could tell that she thought she heard me wrong, which happens a lot.

"My thumb," I was starting to lose my cool head since I had some one else there who was detached from the situation, "is stuck on the needle."

She came down the stairs. I could see from the look on her face that she didn't quite believe it until she saw it. She went to slide my thumb off the needle. I admit that I had to look away. She snipped the thread oh yeah, there was plenty of thread but thankfully someone was looking out for me and there was no bobbin thread. I ran up the small staircase and over to the kitchen sink. With my thumb thread still through it hanging over the sink, I bounced impatiently for mom to get there to finish the job.

"Get it out! Get it out!" I moaned as she reached me. As she started squeezing my thumb to cleanse it, I started to feel light headed. All I could think was, "Am I losing so much blood that I'm going to faint?" I know now that I should have said this out loud. It would have warned mom what was about to happen next.

The next thing I knew was that mom was holding me tightly. She was asking me what hurt. I could think of only one thing.

"My thumb!" I said.

"Anything else?" she asked. It was by this point that I realized I was not standing, I was laying one the floor.

"My head. Did I pass out?"

"Yes, yes ... you did. You're going to be okay."

"I think I'm done for the day." I told her. She laughed a little and then I completely lost it. "I hate that quilt! I really hate that quilt!!!" I sobbed as she held me.

I am so glad that I have my mom. I don't know what I would have done if she hadn't been there. I think on my next day off I will take things slower and stick to less dangerous activities.


Jennifer said...

Ouch, I bet that hurt! It's like riding a horse or a bicycle....when you fall off, you have to get straight back on soon before you use that quilting machine again?

Thelma said...

I dropped by to wish you a Happy (and belated) Birthday...and OMG, did you really put a needle through your thumb......just thinking about it makes me want to pass out..I hope all is well with your thumb and that you made the most of your special day. (Taco Bell, really, that's what you wanted!! Hope the cake was grand!